To Catch a Piñata
"To Catch a Piñata" is the twentieth-sixth episode of Viva Piñata's first season. It originally aired in the United States on February 24, 2006 and Canada on March 3, 2007.
When Langston Lickatoad suddenly vacates Piñata Island, Fergy applies for Langston's Piñata Wrangler job. After all, if Fergy's the official wrangler, in charge of picking who goes to what party, he’ll never have to actually attend one himself. But when the mysterious Piñata Central boss notices that Fergy's best friend Paulie Pretztail has never been to a single party, he orders Fergy to round Paulie up for immediate party-duty!
- Langston: Fergy Fudgehog! I wand my job back!
- Fergy: No way, Langston! I'm on top and I'm staying there!
- The title is a reference to the NBC series To Catch a Predator.
- The chase sequence between Fergy and Paulie where all the other Piñatas follow is a clear reference to the old British comedy The Benny Hill Show's chase sequences. The Benny Hill Show would often end with a sped-up chase sequence with music very similar to the one played over the chase in this episode.
- A scene where Fergy is chasing Paulie, who in turn are both being chased by Langston, mimics the Konami Coin-Op classic Frogger, as they cross a lake, jumping onto drifting logs, Cocodiles and Chippopotumus. The scene is viewed top down, just like the game. The music at this scene also resembles old arcade games, as do the sound effects. Ironically, its Langston who ends up 'dying' when he ends up falling in the water.
Characters which make their first appearances in this episode are:
- Cleo Candary